Benjamin Goldsmith / Senior Staff Photographer

Columbia men's swimming and diving will face one less competitor for the Ivy League title in February.

Following the season cancellation of Princeton’s men’s swimming and diving team, Columbia will have one less team to compete against for the Ivy League Championship in February.

The decision, which Princeton announced on Thursday, concludes an investigation that began a week earlier, when Princeton Athletics suspended the team from competition indefinitely due to emails sent via a university-sponsored listserv by members of the team which contained “vulgar and offensive, as well as misogynistic and racist in nature” content. Some emails were allegedly about female members and recruits of the Princeton swimming and diving team.  

The team’s roster has since been stripped from Princeton Athletics’ official website, along with all men’s swimming and diving rosters stretching back to the 2013-2014 season.

The scandal comes in the wake of two other Ivy League athletic program suspensions due to offensive material in the past two months from the Harvard men’s soccer team and Columbia’s wrestling team. The Harvard men’s soccer team was found to have produced explicit documents rating women on their perceived sexual appeal, and Harvard’s men’s cross country team produced sexually explicit spreadsheets about the women’s cross country team members. At Columbia, senior members of the wrestling team were found to have created a group message that included racist and sexist language.

Columbia continued its wrestling team’s season after selectively suspending the members involved in the group chat, while Harvard cancelled the entire men’s soccer season and placed its men’s cross country team on athletic probation. Princeton men’s swimming and diving has followed a similar course of action as the Crimson soccer program did, dropping out of its remaining contests and forfeiting its chance at an Ivy League title.

Columbia men’s swimming and diving posted a win against the Tigers in its last competition on Dec. 9, which still counts towards the team’s 4-2 overall and 2-2 Ivy records.

austin.horn@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

Columbia Lions Men's swimming and divning