Sports | Baseball

Bethune-Cookman eliminates Columbia baseball from NCAA Regionals

• Getting back in it | Junior third baseman David Vandercook doubled in the seventh to start a Lion rally that got them to within one before the Wildcats closed out the win.

Baseball’s comeback effort came up short against Bethune-Cookman Saturday, as the Wildcats dealt the Lions their second regional loss and eliminated them from the NCAA Tournament. 

Columbia (29-20) fell behind early, as Light Blue sophomore righty Kevin Roy gave up a leadoff home run to outfielder Josh Johnson. Though Bethune-Cookman (27-32) was ahead 6-0 by the time junior third baseman David Vandercook scored the Lions’ first run after doubling in the bottom of the seventh, Columbia managed to plate four in that frame to make it interesting. But after the Light Blue added another run in the bottom of the ninth to make it a one-run game, the Wildcats buckled down, retiring the next Columbia batter to secure the 6-5 win.

Roy was saddled with the loss after giving up four runs—only two of which were earned—in five innings of work. Senior righty Joey Donino gave up two runs in two innings of relief, while senior righty Zach Tax pitched two scoreless frames for the Lions.

Sophomore designated hitter John Kinne went 2-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored in the loss to lead Columbia offensively. Senior catcher Mike Fischer also had a good day at the dish, reaching base three times on a single and a pair of walks.

eli.schultz@columbiaspectator.com | @elischultz28

UnionLeague posted on

It's been a great Baseball year and congrats to the CC organization. Let's get ready for next season and lots more success!

+1
0
-1