Sports | Tennis

Men’s tennis advances, women’s tennis falls in NCAA Tournament

• Arpi Youssoufian for Spectator
    moving on | Junior Ashok Narayana pulled out wins in both singles and doubles for Columbia.

The No. 16 men’s tennis team continued its historic 2013-14 season on Saturday, topping No. 68 East Tennessee State in the first round of the NCAA Tournament, 4-0, for its 19th win in a row and first-ever victory in the tourney.

Like in Ivy play, the Lions (21-1) struck first by taking the doubles point. Junior Winston Lin and sophomore Mike Vermeer cruised in the third match, winning 8-3, but the other two doubles matches were much closer. The No. 12 junior duo of Ashok Narayana and Max Schnur prevailed in No. 1 doubles, 8-6, to clinch the point.

The singles matches went much more smoothly for Columbia, as Narayana, Vermeer, and sophomore Dragos Ignat all took their matches comfortably in straight sets.

On Sunday, the Lions will face the winner of the match between host No. 19 Vanderbilt and No. 36 Virginia Tech. The winner of tomorrow’s match will advance to the round of 16.

The No. 38 women’s tennis team on Friday wasn't able to pull out a win in its first-ever NCAA Tournament match, falling 4-2 to No. 32 Kentucky.

While senior Bianca Sanon put in a strong performance in her final appearance for Columbia—taking her doubles match with sophomore Kanika Vaidya, and prevailing in No. 2 singles, 7-6, 6-1—the rest of the team had a tougher time. The Lions dropped the second and third doubles matches, and only first-year Tina Jiang managed to pull out another win in singles, as Vaidya had to retire in the first set due to an injury, senior Tiana Takenaga lost in three sets, senior Ioana Alecsiu lost in two sets—the second in a tiebreak—and junior Crystal Leung was in the third set in No. 4 singles, which was left unfinished.

muneeb.alam@columbiaspectator.com | @muneebalamcu