Sports | Rowing

Rowing teams hit the water for New Jersey races

• jersey-bound | The lightweight and heavyweight rowing teams will compete in Overpeck Park and Princeton, New Jersey, respectively, while the women’s rowing team will compete in Camden.

The championship season gets underway for Columbia rowing this weekend, as the women’s team competes at the EAWRC Women’s Sprints Regatta in Camden, New Jersey. This season, the women’s rowing team has captured the Governor’s and the Woodbury cups, but has struggled against tougher, more experienced programs. This will be the final event for the Lions before the Ivy League Championships, which will be held in the same location as the Sprints.

The men’s lightweight team will also be returning to competition after taking a week off. The No. 3 Lions will race on their home course in Overpeck Park, New Jersey, for the final time this season as they take on No. 2 Princeton and No. 6 Delaware.

The lightweights competed against Princeton earlier this season at the WIT Cup. The Lions captured the varsity eight race by just a tenth of a second, but came in second to the Tigers in the second and third varsity eight races.

The heavyweights remain at No. 12 in the national rankings after placing second last week in their races against Boston University and Syracuse. This weekend, the team heads to Princeton for the Maxwell Stevenson Cup.

The Lions will be racing against Navy as well as George Washington University, which joined the regatta—first held in 1950—as a guest last year. Navy claimed last year’s Cup, which Columbia most recently won in 2010.

Races for the lightweights begin at 9 a.m. on Saturday. The women and the heavyweights compete on Sunday, with races beginning at 8 a.m. and 11:40 a.m., respectively. 

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports