Sports | Archery

Seven CU archers selected to All-East roster

• Compound Factor | In addition to earning a spot on the All-East Compound Team, sophomore Julie Hoffmann claimed first place at the 2014 Ivy Invitational.

After finishing the majority of their outdoor season, seven members of the Light Blue archery roster have been named to the 2014 All-East recurve and compound teams. 

Columbia captured all five positions on the All-East Recurve Team. Sisters junior Grace and sophomore Tiffany Kim earned the two highest recurve point tallies, followed by first-years Joy Chang and Alyssa Posecion. Junior Sarah Bernstein grabbed the final spot on the recurve roster. For the All-East Compound Team, first-year Judy Zhou earned the first-place spot with 2,393 points, while sophomore Julie Hoffmann took the fifth position with 2,313 points.

Teams were determined by point totals from the Adam Wheatcroft Memorial, the USCA East Regional Intercollegiate Archery Championships, and the USCA Indoor U.S. Intercollegiate Archery Championships. 

Columbia maintained its prestige in both recurve and compound at the 2014 Ivy Invitational this past weekend in Bloomfield, New Jersey. Hosting the event alongside Princeton, the Light Blue made light work of its competition in both bow divisions, which included both male and female archers from nine different programs. Hoffmann topped the compound division with a 641-point finish. Her senior teammates Mary Quien and Marilyn He swiped the second and third places, respectively, while sophomore Victoria Lai rounded out the top four with 585 points. 

The Columbia recurve squad also held its own, claiming the top five spots at the invitational. Posecion led the day’s recurve archers with 574 points, followed closely by Tiffany Kim with 572 points. Chang also represented the first-year class with a third-place finish, and Grace Kim notched 537 points to place fourth. Bernstein closed out recurve with a fifth-place, 484-point finish.  

Two weeks stand between the Lions and their final competition of the season, the USCA Outdoor USIAC, which will take place in Long Beach, California, from May 14 to 18. 

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @KellyReller