Sports | Archery

Archery cohosts Ivy Invitational, Zhou heads to World Team Trials

• Youjin Jenny Jang / Senior Staff Photographer
    First-year phenom | Judy Zhou has been among the first-year standouts on the team, and will shoot this weekend for a place on the World University Team.

The archery team will have one last chance to shoot at some local targets before the USCA Outdoor Intercollegiate Championships next month. With just a few weeks left in the season, the Lions will head over to Bloomfield, N.J., where they will cohost the 2014 Ivy Invitational alongside Princeton. The event—open to all USCA archers—features all but one of the Light Blue’s top performers.

Judy Zhou will travel farther west this weekend to the World Team Trials in Yankton, S.D. Shooting in the women’s compound division, the first-year will join the nation’s top collegiate archers to vie for a place on the USCA World University Team. Zhou’s stellar individual performances—especially those in the outdoor season—have made her a strong contender for the world team. 

Zhou’s is one of a handful of successful rookie seasons to which the Columbia team has laid claim this year. Her fellow first-years Joy Chang and Allysa Posecion have both earned top spots in recurve shoots, often placing just mere points apart. Despite her high scores, Posecion said that adjusting to the collegiate team dynamic has proved challenging. 

“It’s more about competing as a collegiate team rather than individually,” Posecion said. “I think it’s the difference of being on a team—it’s just something to get used to.”

Posecion and her fellow first-years have also put work into different aspects of their shooting. 

“Mostly I’ve been working on my form, and shooting in the wind,” Posecion said. “I want to shoot more consistently, and I hope to focus on a few key aspects of my form.”

The Ivy Invitational will start at 11 a.m. Saturday at the Brookdale Park Archery Field.

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @KellyReller