Sports | Lacrosse

Lacrosse faces daunting test against Penn

• Youjin Jenny Jang / Senior Staff Photographer
    Heir Apparent | First-year Taylor Quinn, the Ivy leader in ground balls per game, forms a potent midfield duo with senior Paige Cuscovitch.
    A Major Milestone | Senior midfielder Paige Cuscovitch topped the 100-goal mark in her career with the Light Blue.

On Wednesday, the lacrosse team visits No. 10 Penn (8-4, 4-1 Ivy) for its final league matchup of the season. The Light Blue (3-9, 0-6 Ivy) has not won an Ivy game since defeating Yale on April 15, 2011, more than three years ago. That streak looks unlikely to end as the Quakers, the reigning Ivy champs, are a favorite to repeat. 

The Quakers have excelled beyond what their record might show, as their only losses came in close contests to No. 6 Northwestern, No. 4 North Carolina, No. 2 Maryland, and Princeton. 

Both Penn and Columbia have relied on their midfielders for offense. All four of Penn’s 15-plus-goal scorers and all three of Columbia’s—senior Paige Cuscovitch, first-year Taylor Quinn, and sophomore Jessie Ambrose—are midfielders. 

Quinn, who leads the league in ground balls per game, was named to the weekly Ivy honor roll following her five-goal performance against Harvard. Cuscovitch, who recently joined the 100-goal club, sits in fourth place in all-time goals scored for the Lions. 

Opening draw is set for 4 p.m. at Dunning-Cohen Champions Field in Philadelphia. 

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports