Sports | Tennis

Men’s tennis tops Penn, clinches share of Ivy title

• Schnur Thing | Junior Max Schnur was one of three Lions to win their singles match in straight sets. Columbia also took the doubles point in the 4-0 win.

The No. 19 men’s tennis team clinched at least a share of the Ivy League title by beating Penn 4-0 Friday and is now one match away from completing a perfect Ivy season and winning the title outright.

The Light Blue again proved its ability to play outside, extending its win streak to 17. Outdoor play had been a concern for head coach Bid Goswami.

“Because we played outside, I was a little nervous. This week was pretty cold so we didn’t get much of a chance to practice outside this week,” he said.

But the Lions looked comfortable in Philadelphia, and they made quick work of the Quakers. After the team quickly captured the doubles point, junior Max Schnur and sophomores Mike Vermeer and Dragos Ignat each won their singles matches in straight sets.

Goswami said he was happy with the performance, but he stressed the importance of maintaining focus and finishing the season alone atop the Ancient Eight.

“Hopefully we can win this title outright,” he said. “That’s always been our real goal from the beginning so we don’t want to be satisfied being co-champions. It will be very disappointing if we don’t give it our best effort Sunday.”

If the Light Blue gets the victory against the Tigers, it’ll capture its first title in three years. It would be the program’s 10th conference championship overall.

“We aren’t going to do anything different,” Goswami said. “We are going to do what we’ve been doing all year. We’re going to get a good practice in tomorrow and we’ll be ready for Sunday.”

Goswami said that the way his team has dominated the rest of the Ancient Eight is a testament to its ability to focus on its goals and work without compromise to reach them.

“We have a lot of goals,” he said. “We are fulfilling a lot of them this year, and it’s because of all the hard work. They believed in the work they were doing back in September.”

The Lions will try to put a bow on what has been a memorable season when they host No. 61 Princeton on Sunday at 1 p.m.

kyle.perrotti@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

Columbia has the best tennis in the ivies

+1
+4
-1

Columbia men's and women's tennis are great teams! The men are dominant.
Go Lions! Good luck against Princeton.

+1
0
-1
Crunk Dawg posted on

Domination!

+1
-1
-1