Sports | Lacrosse

Lacrosse faces difficult test against Albany

• Elaine Forbush for Spectator
    Robin | Rookie midfielder Taylor Quinn is having one of the most prolific seasons of any first-year in school history.
  • Batman | Senior midfielder Paige Cuscovitch is the Lions’ top scorer with 25 goals this season.

On Wednesday, the Lions will head to University of Albany to take on the Great Danes. No. 18 Albany (10-2) has won with ease for much of this season, outscoring its opponents by an average of 9.3 goals per game. The Danes’ two losses came at the hands of No. 15 Stony Brook and No. 3 Syracuse. 

Albany’s offense features an intimidating host of threats. The Danes have four players with at least 25 goals so far and average nearly 15 goals per game. Albany’s greatest asset is redshirt sophomore attacker Rachel Bowles. 

Lions head coach Liz Kittleman Jackson’s squad has yet to square up against a ranked team and will need strong performances from its top scorers, midfielders Paige Cuscovitch and Taylor Quinn, who both earned spots on the week’s Ivy League Honor Roll. Cuscovitch, a senior, leads all Lion scorers with 25 goals. Quinn, a first-year, sits just behind Cuscovitch with 16 goals. Quinn’s numbers are the best for any Light Blue rookie since attacker Kacie Johnson, CC ’13, totaled 31 goals in her first season on campus. 

The Purple and Gold defeated the Light Blue last year at Kraft Field by a convincing margin, 15-6. 

Opening draw is set for 3 p.m. in Albany, N.Y.

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports