Sports | Baseball

After rescheduling, baseball looks to extend win streak versus St. John’s

• Youjin Jenny Jang / Senior Staff Photographer
    Walk-off Hero | Senior outfielder Rob Paller hit a game-winning double in the first game of the series against Princeton.
  • switch-up | Senior catcher Mike Fischer hit an unlikely inside-the-park home run over the weekend.

The baseball team will take an eight-game winning streak—the longest in the Ivy League—into Wednesday’s home matchup with St. John’s. 

The Lions (16-15, 9-3 Ivy) are coming off of a four-game sweep of Princeton and boast the second-best record in the Ancient Eight. The Red Storm (20-13) has also been playing well recently, having swept Butler at home this past weekend, outscoring the Bulldogs 18-9 over three games.

St. John’s has had success both on the mound and at the dish. Offensively, outfielder Alex Caruso leads the team with an on-base percentage of 0.470. Catcher Troy Dixon and third baseman Robbie Knightes are not far behind with marks of 0.446 and 0.403, respectively. The Red Storm has also collectively drawn 142 walks, the highest total in the Big East. On the mound, St. John’s boasts a collective ERA of 3.98, good for the fourth-best mark in the conference.

Columbia has struggled offensively at times this season, but broke through in a big way against the Tigers last weekend, scoring 33 runs in four games. 

First-year second baseman Will Savage and senior catcher Mike Fischer both made the Ivy League’s weekly honor roll this week. Savage has a 0.476 on-base percentage over Columbia’s last five games and has stolen four bases, while Fischer slugged 0.875 and hit a pair of home runs. 

Junior third baseman David Vandercook has also been hot over the last few weeks. After hitting toward the bottom of the order earlier this season, Vandercook has become batted third in Columbia’s last seven games.

Originally scheduled for April 8 at St. John’s, the game will now be played at Robertson Field at Satow Stadium. Opening pitch is set for 3:30 p.m.

eli.schultz@columbiaspectator.com | @elischultz28