Sports | Track

Women’s track and field wins George Mason Invitational

• Youjin Jenny Jang / Senior Staff Photographer
    Marvelous Marvellous | Senior Marvellous Iheukwumere ran the 100-meter dash in 11.68, setting a new personal record and finishing fourth.

The women’s track and field team once again proved itself to be a well-rounded squad, winning the George Mason Invitational Saturday.

“It means we’re making the right steps. If you can go win one of those things, we can be a player at Ivy Leagues,” assistant coach Will Boylan-Pett, CC ’05, said.

The lone individual win of the day came from senior Trina Bills in the 800 meters, which she ran in 2:06.74, a program record.

“The time was very good, it was solid—I think she can run faster,” Boylan-Pett said. “But the field she beat was unbelievable. There were a lot of All-Americans in there. That time will get her into regionals for sure.”

Senior Marvellous Iheukwumere also posted a personal record of 11.68 in the 100-meter dash, taking fourth overall.

“She’s been pretty banged up recently,” Boylan-Pett said. “The fact she could step out and run that is fantastic.”

The women didn’t learn of their win over the 20-team pack until they returned to campus from Fairfax, Va., Sunday evening. 

“The fact of the matter is we can cover things, we are very spread across. We didn’t run that many distance women at all,” Boylan-Pett said. “It shows how strong we actually are on the overall across-the-board side, which is what we want—good sign of things to come.

The men’s team, which took ninth, sat its distance runners out but showed its usual dominance in middle distance. Senior Harry McFann broke a program record in the 800 meters that had been set over 10 years ago, taking third with a time of 1:47.91. 

“He’s probably fourth or fifth in the country with that now,” Boylan-Pett said.

In the 1,500 meters, senior Johnny Gregorek, junior Dan Everett, and senior Brendon Fish took second, third, and fourth, respectively—almost certainly enough to qualify them for regionals next month.

finn.vigeland@columbiaspectator.com | @fvigeland