Sports | Rowing

Women’s rowing wins Woodbury Cup

• Winning Woodbury | Columbia’s women’s rowing varsity eights outpaced Northeastern to take home the Woodbury Cup.

All three of Columbia’s rowing teams were in action this weekend and posted mixed results.

The women’s rowing team earned a victory at the Woodbury Cup, held in honor of deceased 1996 Columbia rowing captain Melanie Woodbury, BC ’96. The Lions posted solid wins in the first and second varsity eight races against Northeastern. 

The men’s heavyweight team came up short against No. 4 Princeton and No. 9 Penn. The Tigers claimed the 104th Childs Cup with a 5:33.9 finish in the marquee varsity eight race, while Penn came in second at 5:41.2 and Columbia followed close behind with a time of 5:42. Columbia also finished last in the second and third varsity eight races. 

The No. 2 lightweight team was narrowly outraced by Yale, the No. 1 lightweight crew in the country, at the Dodge Cup on Saturday. The Lions came in just over two seconds behind the Bulldogs in the first varsity eight race, with a time of 5:37.13 to Yale’s 5:34.99. The second race was even more tightly contested, with Columbia gaining the lead only to give way to Yale with less than 300 meters to go. The Lions claimed the third varsity race of the day, finishing in 5:55.7 compared to Yale’s 6:06.9.

The men’s lightweight team returns to its home course at Overpeck Park in New Jersey next weekend to race against Cornell and MIT on Saturday, followed by Dartmouth on Sunday. The heavyweights hit the road for the Blackwell Cup against Penn and Yale, while the women head to the Clemson Invitational.

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports