Sports | Softball

Softball drops 3 of 4 to Princeton

• Swinging for the fences | Junior second baseman Kayla Shimoda homered for the Lions in game 2 of Sunday’s doubleheader, but the Light Blue fell 6-2 to the Tigers.

The softball team was back in action this weekend as it hosted the visiting Princeton Tigers at Columbia Softball Field. The opposing squads faced each other in a pair of doubleheaders over the course of two days as Princeton (14-19, 6-4 Ivy) took three of the four games.

Once again, Columbia (16-18, 5-7 Ivy) struggled to put runs on the board and wasn’t able to complement a relatively strong showing on the mound. The squad just barely pulled off its only victory of the weekend in the first game of Saturday’s doubleheader. Junior catcher Liz Caggiano hit a walk-off three-run home run to give Columbia a 4-3 win with two outs in the bottom of the seventh inning. 

In that game, Princeton had built up a 3-1 lead, but the Tigers struggled to get on base against first-year lefty Tonia Wu, who has been one of the few bright spots for the Lions over the past few weeks. Wu earned her first career win as she tossed 2.2 scoreless innings and struck out two. The Light Blue wasn’t able to carry its momentum over to the second game, as junior righty Brooke Darling struggled early on, allowing six runs in what turned into a 6-1 Columbia loss.

Sunday brought more disappointment for the Lions, as they lost both games of the twin bill by scores of 3-2 and 6-2. With the losses, Columbia has now dropped to last in the Ivy League South Division. 

The Light Blue will be back in action Thursday, as it hits the road to face Saint Peter’s in Jersey City, N.J., for a doubleheader. 

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports