Arpi Youssoufian for Spectator

Junior Ashok Narayana continued a steady defense of the third singles position, winning his matches at Brown and Yale.

The No. 17 men's tennis team continued its Ivy League dominance this weekend by blowing past Brown and Yale, 4-1 and 4-0, respectively.

On Saturday, the Lions (18-1, 5-0 Ivy) made easy work of the Bears (10-9, 0-3 Ivy) in Providence, R.I. Brown put up little resistance and the Light Blue cruised, only dropping one match in the 4-1 win. The one loss, which occurred when Brown's Ivan Kravtchenko topped junior Bert Vancura, 6-3, 6-4, represented the first match the Lions have given up since beginning Ivy League play. Head coach Bid Goswami said the weather conditions may have had an effect on Vancura's play, since the Lions have had limited experience playing outdoors this season and Vancura relies heavily on his serve.

“Bert had a bit of a hiccup. He'd been playing so well and we count on him so much. He's usually like the Rock of Gibraltar at No. 5 for us,” he said. “It was surprising he lost, but I'm not too worried.”

The Light Blue kept the ball rolling Sunday against the Elis, sweeping the Bulldogs in New Haven, Conn. Goswami said that the match was one of the smoothest wins for the team this season.

“It was a pretty one-sided 4-0 win. We didn't have to worry much. It was one of the quickest matches I think I've seen. We finished them off in about two hours,” he said.

Goswami said the team has developed a lot since the start of the season, especially in doubles play, which has been one of the team's main focuses since the ECAC Championships.

“We haven't lost any doubles points in the Ivies. That's a big difference from when we played the ECACs in February. We lost the doubles point to Princeton, and we lost the doubles point to Dartmouth,” he said.

Although the Light Blue has only a pair of matches left before completing a perfect Ivy season, Goswami is hesitant to look too far ahead to what seems to be an inevitable regional run.

“I have been too long in this business to look ahead of the next match. We're concentrating on Penn because you never know what can come up,” he said. “Hopefully we'll have no injuries and no one gets sick this week.”

The Lions will look to wrap up their perfect Ivy season next weekend. They will face Penn on the road on Friday, then take on Princeton at home on Sunday.

kyle.perrotti@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

Men's Tennis