Sports | Lacrosse

Lacrosse falls to Yale, 9-6

• Vanamali Porethi for Spectator
    Taking a Paige | Senior midfielder Paige Cuscovitch scored another hat trick against Yale, bringing her season total to 25 goals.

The lacrosse team squared off with Yale on Saturday and fell, 9-6. In the first half, the Bulldogs (8-5, 2-3 Ivy) shelled Columbia (3-7, 0-5 Ivy) with 10 shots, five of which slipped by sophomore goalie Colleen Packer to give the Elis an early lead. The Light Blue managed only one score in the first half, which came on first-year midfielder Taylor Quinn’s free-position shot.

But Columbia rallied in the second half. After conceding two more goals, the Lions defense locked down while the Light Blue attackers helped catalyze a 5-2 rally. Senior midfielder Paige Cuscovitch led Lions goal scorers, beating Yale’s defense three times in less than five minutes for yet another hat trick. Cuscovitch sits in seventh place in the Ivy League with 25 goals on the season. 

But the Bulldogs tighted their defense and kept the ball out of their goal until Quinn scored again with two minutes remaining. The midfielder’s goal would be the last of the game, as the Lions’ rally once again fell short.

Packer played well in the net for Columbia in the second half, making seven saves to finish the day with eight. 

Columbia is back in action on Wednesday at Albany. 

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports