Sports | Fencing

Dubrovich and Lu take gold at Junior World Championships

• dubrious distinction | Sophomore foilist Jackie Dubrovich was a starter for the United States on its gold-medal march.

Columbia fencers Jackie Dubrovich and Margaret Lu will make golden additions to their combined seven silver and bronze Junior World Championship medals. The sophomore foilists took their skill sets to the international stage on Wednesday as they competed at the Junior and Cadet World Championships in Plovdiv, Bulgaria. Dubrovich and Lu represented the United States in the junior women’s foil team alongside Sabrina Massialas and Lee Keifer.

The week began with Monday’s individual portion, where Keifer took the junior world championship title. Dubrovich finished 20th and Massialas placed at 38th.

The USA remained atop the scoreboard for the women’s foil team competition on Wednesday. Even though they were the No. 6 seed, the Americans overcame the top-seeded Russian squad, 42-24, in the final medal round. The U.S. finished the day at 128 points, with Russia a distant second with 104 points.

Dubrovich, who finished second in the country as a first-year, boasted a 69-9 regular season record. She also posted a bronze finish at the NCAA Championships last month, where she fenced against Notre Dame’s Keifer—the eventual national champion—in the medal round. 

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @KellyReller