Sports | Golf

Women’s golf captures team and individual titles at Seton Hall Pirate Invitational

• Pirate Piyapattra | Senior Michelle Piyapattra led the Lions to win their second straight invitational and captured medalist honors for her tournament-topping individual score.

The women’s golf team followed up a first-place finish at last month’s Monterey Bay Invitational with a team title at the inaugural Seton Hall Pirate Invitational this weekend. The Lions posted a final total score of 631, edging Ivy League foe Yale by one stroke for the victory.

After the first day of competition, the Light Blue held second place in the field of 17, trailing Princeton, which finished third. Led by senior Michelle Piyapattra, whose second-round score of 72 was the lowest of the day, Columbia surged to the top of the leaderboard.

At the end of the 36-hole invitational, Piyapattra and St. John’s Anna Kim were tied for the low scores of the tournament and had to enter a tiebreaker. Piyapattra emerged victorious after two holes to earn medalist honors.

First-year Jackie Chuyla, who did not compete as part of the Columbia team, led all individual participants and tied for 15th overall.

Columbia will play its last tournament of the spring regular season on April 18, hosting the Annual Roar-EE Invitational at Knickerbocker Country Club in Tenafly, N.J. 

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports