Sports | Rowing

WEEKEND RECAP: Women’s tennis, rowing, track, softball, women’s golf

• Choppy Waters | The Light Blue had mixed results this weekend on the water, the diamond, the track, and the course, while women's tennis dominated.

Women’s Tennis—Myles Simmons / Spectator Senior Staff Writer

The No. 36 women’s tennis team easily cleared its second and third hurdles in the chase for the Ivy League title this weekend, drubbing No. 39 Harvard and Dartmouth on the road. The two wins pushed...(Read more)

RowingMadeleine Steinberg / Spectator Staff Writer

Both the men’s heavyweight and men’s lightweight rowing teams battled difficult conditions and tough opponents on Saturday to come away with victories, while the women’s team fell against top-10 programs Princeton and Virginia.

Facing No. 3 Virginia and No. 7 Princeton, the Lions placed last in all three of the day’s races­­­—two varsity eights and a varsity four...(Read more)

Track and FieldFinn Vigeland / Spectator Senior Staff Writer

The track and field team’s outdoor season began with a program record, three victories, and a chance for the athletes to stretch their legs in competition for the first time in a month.

The Lions sent six runners to the Stanford Invitational with the primary goal of racking up a regional qualifying time in the 5,000 meters. Junior Waverly Neer, who was held back for much of the last few months due to injury, returned in full force and set a program record. In a field with several non-collegiate runners, she finished ninth in 15:37.85, 19 seconds faster than Columbia’s previous 5,000 record...(Read more)

Softball—Diego Rosette / Spectator Staff Writer

Following a promising start to Ivy League play, the Lions (14-14, 4-4 Ivy) suffered four consecutive losses over the weekend, falling to second in the Ivy South Division, as they journeyed to Dartmouth (18-13, 8-0 Ivy) and Harvard (16-11, 3-0 Ivy). 

In what has been a season of ups and downs, Columbia’s once promising 10-game winning streak has been turned on its head by the squad losing its last five...(Read more)

Women’s Golf—Catie Pellerin / Spectator Staff Writer

The women’s golf team followed up a first-place finish at last month’s Monterey Bay Invitational with a team title at the inaugural Seton Hall Pirate Invitational this weekend. The Lions posted a final total score of 631, edging Ivy League foe Yale by one stroke for the victory.

After the first day of competition, the Light Blue held second place in the field of 17, trailing Princeton, which finished third. Led by senior Michelle Piyapattra, whose second-round score of 72 was the lowest of the day, Columbia surged...(Read more)

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports