Sports | Rowing

Tough conditions and competition for rowing teams

• Whatever it took | The No. 7 lightweight rowing team upset No. 2 Princeton and No. 4 Navy to take the WIT Cup by a fraction of a second.

Both the men’s heavyweight and men’s lightweight rowing teams battled difficult conditions and tough opponents on Saturday to come away with victories, while the women’s team fell against top-10 programs Princeton and Virginia.

Facing No. 3 Virginia and No. 7 Princeton, the Lions placed last in all three of the day’s races­­­—two varsity eights and a varsity four. Although Columbia finished well behind the two rowing powerhouses in the varsity eight races, the varsity four race was a closer affair. While Virginia dominated with a time of 7:51.8, Columbia clocked in at 8:12.5, not too far behind second-place Princeton at 8:03.1. The Cavaliers were the overall winner of the regatta.

While the women competed at Princeton’s Lake Carnegie, the men’s lightweight and heavyweight teams were in action at their home course in Overpeck, N.J. Battling intense winds and choppy water, Columbia’s heavyweights notched wins in three of their four varsity eight races. The Lions overcame Dartmouth in the first two races and out-rowed both Dartmouth and Holy Cross in the third. The final varsity eight saw them finish less than three seconds behind the Big Green. Weather conditions led to the cancellation of the Alumni Cup and several other races.

The lightweights, ranked No. 7 in the nation in last week’s USRowing Collegiate Poll, were also subject to the harsh conditions of Overpeck Lake, having their fifth varsity eight race canceled. But they still snagged the WIT Cup in a thrilling win over No. 2 Princeton and No. 4 Navy, edging out the Tigers by just a tenth of a second. The Lions came in second to Princeton in the following two varsity eights, and third in their final race of the day. 

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports