Sports | Softball

Softball drops 2 doubleheaders to Dartmouth, Harvard

• Constant Contact | Junior third baseman Alix Cook went 6-for-15 this weekend despite the Lions’ offensive struggles over the four-game stretch.

Following a promising start to Ivy League play, the Lions (14-14, 4-4 Ivy) suffered four consecutive losses over the weekend, falling to second in the Ivy South Division, as they journeyed to Dartmouth (18-13, 8-0 Ivy) and Harvard (16-11, 3-0 Ivy). 

In what has been a season of ups and downs, Columbia’s once promising 10-game winning streak has been turned on its head by the squad losing its last five.

On Friday afternoon, the Lions took the dirt against a formidable Dartmouth team, which has won its last eight and is firmly positioned at the helm of the Ivy North Division. The first game of the twin bill commenced with a poor showing by Columbia sophomore starting pitcher Emily Kenyon. She lasted just 0.1 innings, walking three and allowing an RBI double. The Big Green kept building on that lead and took the game by a final score of 8-1. 

In the second matchup, Dartmouth once again got off to a fast start. Junior righty Brooke Darling kept the Lions in the game as she went six innings allowing just three runs, but ultimately the Lions’ offensive output was not on par with the Big Green’s. Columbia lost, 4-3. 

Columbia then headed south to take on Harvard at Soldiers Field in Cambridge, Mass. The doubleheader, which was originally slated to be played on Saturday, was postponed until Sunday because of poor field conditions. 

Once again, Columbia’s opponent got off to a quick start and built a lead that proved insurmountable for Columbia. The Lions dropped the first game, 7-2, and followed it up by a 6-2 defeat in the afternoon.

The Lions are back home on Tuesday to host Stony Brook at 3 p.m. 

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports