Sports | Baseball

Around the League: Penn leads league, riding 7-0 hot streak

• Going Down Swinging | The Big Green had a rocky start to the week, falling to Princeton and Quinnipiac on Tuesday and Wednesday respectively.

Ivy League play opened last week, and Penn (11-10, 4-0 Ivy) is the only team that has set itself apart thus far with a seven-game winning streak. The remainder of the teams beat up on each other, with several teams splitting their opening home stands and road trips. 

After winning three of its previous four games, Brown (4-10, 0-4 Ivy) sputtered on Monday and Tuesday in its first Ivy League matchups, losing all four games to Columbia and Penn on the road. The Lions held the Bears’ offense in check in the doubleheader, surrendering just five total hits en route to two 4-0 wins. In both games against Penn, the Brown offense fought to get within one run in the final frame, but saw its rallies denied as the Bears lost both by a score of 3-2. The Bears will try to break their losing streak against Sienna on Thursday.

Prior to sweeping Brown, Penn opened Ivy play with two wins over Yale (9-12, 2-2 Ivy) at home, where the Quakers are now 7-0 on the season following Wednesday’s 11-5 win over Lafayette. In game 1, righty Dan Gautieri led the Quakers to a 6-1 win, going the distance and giving up just four hits and striking out six. Game 2 was a slugfest, as Penn roughed up Yale’s starter. Bulldogs righty Michael Coleman gave up nine runs on 12 hits in just 4.2 innings. Yale rallied in the final two frames, but lost 11-9. 

The Quakers will try to continue to distance themselves from the rest of the Ivy League over the weekend when they play Harvard and Dartmouth.

Yale salvaged its road trip with dominant pitching performances in its sweep of Columbia. Righty Chris Lanham led the Elis to a 3-0 win with a three-hit shutout. In game 2, Yale posted a 4-1 win thanks to lefty David Hickey’s seven shutout innings. But the Bulldogs’ staff was ineffective in Wednesday’s game against Connecticut, in which the Bulldogs suffered a 14-1 blowout loss. Yale will host Cornell (10-10, 2-2 Ivy) and Princeton over the weekend.

The Big Red bounced back after four straight losses to Sacred Heart by splitting a pair of doubleheaders against Dartmouth (4-13, 1-3 Ivy) and Harvard (5-14, 1-1 Ivy) to start Ancient Eight play, and split another on Wednesday against George Mason. The two games between Cornell and Dartmouth came down to the last out. Cornell walked off with two outs in the seventh inning for a 3-2 win in the first game, while Dartmouth climbed back from an early three-run deficit to win the second game in the 11th inning, 5-4. The Big Red lost another extra-inning game against Harvard, 6-5, in 10 innings, before earning a split in the twin bill with a 6-2 win in the nightcap. Cornell played two more one-run games against George Mason, losing a 2-1 pitcher’s duel before picking up 3-2 win in game 2. The Big Red will travel to Yale and Brown this weekend.

Dartmouth couldn’t keep up its momentum from the win in game 2 against Cornell when it went up against Princeton (7-12, 2-0 Ivy) on Tuesday. Righty Cameron Mingo shut out the Big Green, 3-0, in the first game. In the second game, Princeton scored two runs in the seventh inning after five lead changes to secure the win. Dartmouth continued to struggle on Wednesday, giving up four home runs and 13 hits to Quinnipiac in an 11-5 loss. The Big Green will look to regain last season’s winning form this weekend when it hosts Columbia and Penn.

After Princeton had its matchup against the Crimson suspended over the weekend due to rain, the Tigers returned to action Wednesday against Seton Hall. Princeton managed just one hit through seven innings, but tagged the Quinnipiac bullpen for six runs in the eighth inning to pull within one. However, the Tigers gave those six runs right back in the top of the ninth to lose, 13-6. Princeton will hit the road for four games against Brown and Yale this weekend.

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports