Sports | Golf

Men’s golf wins first 16-team tournament since 2010

• On the prowl | Sophomore Harrison Shih finished a team-best tied for third at the Wildcat Invitational.

Men’s golf, once again, saved its best for the final round. Last week, the Lions’ stellar play in the third and final round of the Desert Shootout led to a program record. This week, it led to the Light Blue’s first victory in a 16-team event since 2010. 

Inclement weather had limited the team’s practice schedule in the days before the Wildcat Invitational at White Manor Golf Club in Malvern, Pa. But the squad rebounded from a difficult first round, in which it shot a collective 311, to post a second-round 297 and then a final-round 284. Luckily for the Light Blue, second-place Army could not manage better than a final-round 284, and the Lions captured a one-stroke victory.

Sophomore Harrison Shih finished with the best score of the six Lions that competed in the Wildcat Invitational. Shih and junior Brandon Jowers finished tied for third and tied for fifth, respectively. First-year Tharusyan Pillar posted the lowest round of the tournament for the Light Blue with a final-round 70. 

The Lions will next compete in the Princeton Invitational on April 12 and 13.

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports