Sports | Swimming and Diving

Men’s swimming earns All-American honor

• Flying to victory | One year after his 19th-place finish, junior David Jakl placed 12th in the 200-yard butterfly at NCAA Championships, setting a school record and earning an honorable-mention All-American accolade.

When junior David Jakl swam at the NCAA Championships last year, he said he was just there for the experience. He was still largely successful—his 19th-place finish in the 200-yard butterfly was a tantalizing .15 seconds from the 16th-place threshold to earn All-American status. That .15 seconds proved to be a driving force behind his season. 

“I think the pressure is there more so than last year,” he said before the meet. “This year I definitely made it a bigger goal to come back and try to make the top 16.”

Saturday, the junior reached new heights, powering to 12th in the 200-yard butterfly on Saturday in a new school record of 1:43.25 to earn an honorable-mention All-American accolade.

Teammate and fellow junior Kevin Quinn netted a top-25 finish in the same event in his first appearance at the meet, the highest level of collegiate competition. The 200 fly title went to Dylan Bosch of the University of Michigan, who shattered an American and NCAA record en route to his victory.

Jakl is the first Light Blue men’s swimmer to earn All-American honors since program star Adam Powell capped his senior season with a 16th-place finish in the 50 freestyle in 2011. Jakl also improved upon his finish in the 100 fly from last season, shooting up from 35th to 27th in the nation, and started his meet with a 48th-place showing in the 50 yard freestyle. Quinn was 55th in the 200-yard IM.

Jakl was one of only four All-Americans from the Ivy League this year: Nejc Zupan of Dartmouth was 13th in the 100 breaststroke, the Crimson’s Mike Mosca took 13th in 3-meter diving, and Chris Swanson of Penn finished 9th in the 1650 freestyle.

charlotte.murtishaw@columbiaspectator.com | @charshankredemp