Sports | Men's Basketball

Men’s basketball defeats Valparaiso, will play on in CIT

• Kiera Wood / Senior Staff Photographer
    3-for-3 for 23 | Junior center Cory Osetkowski was a big part of the Lion assault from beyond the arc, going 3-for-3 from downtown.

The men’s basketball team will live to see another day.

Sophomore guard Maodo Lo knocked down a buzzer-beating jumper to lift the Light Blue to a win over Valparaiso, 58-56, in the CollegeInsider.com Tournament.

The game was played almost entirely within five points. Both teams led at times in the first half, and while Columbia led for most of the second, it was not able to pull away.

A long three with a little over three minutes to go put Valparaiso ahead by one, and a steal and dunk by guard Clay Yeo put the Crusaders up by three. But back-to-back buckets from junior center Cory Osetkowski put the Lions ahead by one with just under a minute remaining.

Forward Vashil Fernandez had a chance to put the Crusaders back on top after he was fouled after an offensive rebound—one of his six—but only hit one of two free throws.

After sophomore guard Isaac Cohen grabbed the rebound, the Lions gave the ball to Lo for the final possession of the game, and he spun, stepped back, and knocked down a 20-footer for the win.

Osetkowski continued his strong run of games, leading the Lions with 21 points—including 3-for-3 shooting from beyond the arc—while Lo had 13 to go along with eight rebounds and five assists. 

muneeb.alam@columbiaspectator.com | @muneebalamcu

Larry posted on

Exciting game! Down to the wire, like tournament games are supposed to be. Nice to see a lot of different guys out on the court. Great game Cory and Maodo!

+1
+3
-1
Class of 1956 posted on

I am so happy for the players, coaches & fans. It made me forget football. I injured my knee earlier in the day so couldn't make the Alumni Association game viewing. I did watch the game at home.
My knee is better as am I.
Go Lions

+1
+6
-1
Alum posted on

Great win for the program! The players and coaching staff should be proud of what has been accomplished this year. As alums, we appreciate the effort and are hoping to see that the program can remain competitive and grow for years to come.

+1
+6
-1
Alum and CC parent posted on

Very proud of our basketball team. I love going to games and it keeps me connected. Hats off to Coach Smith and the players! What a great year!

+1
+2
-1
Phil Pallette posted on

Be nice to know what Grant Mullins's status is. Was this injury more serious than was first thought? Is he practicing with the team? Will he see the floor this year, next year, never again?

+1
-2
-1
menckenman posted on

Congratulations well-deserved to an outstanding team and coach, both on a great season and a well-played tourney game.
Now to the elephant in the room. Why were we 3 1/2 point underdogs playing Valpo away, when we could have been favored at home? We were one last-second shot from not getting to 20 games. The fact that we did does NOT erase the fact that it appears CU deliberately declined a chance to afford our team its greatest possible chance at victory because CU declined to pay the money required to be a host school.
I'll let each of you decide what that may or may not say about true attitudes here towards sports, because I'm aware that there are various opinions out there. But let's be honest with each other about where CU priorities lie, or in this case, do not.
BTW, I welcome a formal explanation from CU, and stand ready to withdraw this if that explanation is reasonable.

+1
+2
-1
CUL posted on

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe for these lesser tournaments the higher seed gets to host the game.

+1
-3
-1
Class of 1956 posted on

The CIT Tournament requires a home team to pay $35,000 to host a game. My understanding is Columbia decided that since it was spring break there was no way they could get a decent crowd. I also am told that once the games tonight are played there will be a new schedule & Columbia could choose to host a game. They just need to find $35,000. I am told several alumni may contribute that money.

+1
0
-1
Menckenman posted on

Consider the population of CU alumni and students who live in the NY area. It is vast. Also the NY BB fans. I have no doubt that the gym would have sold out for a post season game.
Plus, home court provides a swing of 4-8 points, and we lost that. We were 3 1/2 point underdogs at Valpo.
The main point is that a 20 win season (not 19) is huge, especially for the program. It was put at risk.

+1
-5
-1
You voted '+1'.

Smart decision to play an away game at Valparaiso where the refs allowed the players to decide the game rather than calling 40 fouls as happens all the time in the Northeast and particularly the Ivy League. Anyway it's silly to second guess a victory. Go Lions!

+1
+3
-1
Cl;ass of 1956 posted on

You are correct. The Ivy officials call too many fouls. Having been a college official in the 1970 & 1980 in the mid west we always believed in let the players determine the outcome of the game. Tell the referee who worked the Harvard game that we deserved to win. Tell the official at the Syracuse-Duke game who made the same bad offensive foul call.

+1
-1
-1
Ernie Brod posted on

When, against whom and where is the next game?

+1
+1
-1
David posted on

This Saturday (March 22) at 7 PM, against Eastern Michigan, at Columbia: http://www.gocolumbialions.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=9600&ATCLID=209438838

+1
+1
-1
David posted on

+1
+4
-1
Jim from Morningside Heights posted on

Did Cory score 23 (as per photo caption) or 21 (as per article)? Please fact-check and proofread, Spectator staff. Thanks.

+1
-2
-1
Ryan posted on

23 is his number, genius

+1
-8
-1
Jim from Morningside Heights posted on

Ah. Thanks.

+1
+1
-1