Sports | Tennis

After win over Michigan, men’s tennis on road in Texas

The No. 24 men’s tennis team got its spring break started right with a convincing 6-1 win over No. 41 Michigan. After defeating the Wolverines on Saturday, the team made its way south to Texas, where it will play SMU tomorrow in Dallas, followed by No. 43 TCU Thursday.

The Lions arrived in Ann Arbor late Friday morning without much rest after some travel complications delayed their trip, but they came out strong right away, capturing the crucial doubles point.

“Their No. 1 doubles and No. 2 doubles teams were ranked, so it was a good doubles victory and I think the momentum carried to the singles play,” head coach Bid Goswami said.

Goswami added that he thought it showed a lot of character for the team to get so little rest and still win as decisively as it did in Ann Arbor, where the Wolverines have won a number of important matches this year.

“They didn’t get much sleep and we ended up getting in Friday morning,” he said. “But the boys still played really well.”

In its two matches in Texas, the Light Blue will face an additional challenge: the weather. Columbia will be playing outdoors for the first time this season. Goswami said he is a bit concerned with some of the problems that outdoor courts can present.

“When we got into Texas we practiced outside and the temperature was around 44, so our first practice wasn’t great, but I think we will get the hang of it pretty quick here,” he said.

Lately, the weather has been cool in Dallas, where the Lions are set to play this week, but is expected to warm up to more spring-like temperatures tomorrow. The wind is expected to continue, though, which would force some of the players to alter their strategies.

Goswami said that although this week should be challenging, the experience will help the team down the road during the Ivy season.

“We could easily see the same conditions in Cornell in two weeks,” he said.

The Lions hit the court against the Mustangs at 4 p.m. ET on Tuesday. They will take on the Horned Frogs on Thursday at 6 p.m. ET.

kyle.perrotti@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports