Sports | Tennis

Women’s tennis goes south, west for four matches

• ready to go | Sophomore Kanika Vaidya may have to face a top opponent in No. 46 singles player Lucia Batta when the Lions take on UNLV on Monday.

Women’s tennis is heading for warmer weather over spring break, with trips to Las Vegas and Miami for four matches.

Coming off a 5-2 win over the University of Massachusetts last weekend, the now-No. 27 Lions will first head to the Silver State to face UC Santa Barbara and UNLV on Sunday and Monday, respectively. Though the Light Blue has never faced either team before, head coach Ilene Weintraub, CC ’02, said that she is familiar with UNLV’s top singles player—No. 46 Lucia Batta.

Weintraub said she wanted to take some more time to decide this weekend’s lineup—in particular, whether No. 59 sophomore Kanika Vaidya or senior Bianca Sanon would face Batta.

“The lineup toward the end of the season usually works itself out, based on order of ability,” Weintraub said. “We’ll always play order of ability no matter what.”

The Lions will have four days between their matches against UNLV and the University at Albany, which Weintraub said would be used for training in preparation for Ancient Eight competition. The head coach said she’s excited to get the team outside to play in wamer weather.

“We usually practice twice a day, and we do conditioning every day,” Weintraub said. “It really gives us that extra push right before Ivy season to be prepared.”

Down in Miami, the Lions will play the University at Albany on March 21 and Florida International University on March 22 for their last matches before Ivy play, which begins against Cornell on March 29. With that, Weintraub has a few things she’d like to see from the team over break.

“I need to see them continue to compete hard and to continue to learn from anything we point out to them,” she said. “And we want them to be consistent—stick to our gameplan and our winning strategy. I think they’re going to be OK.”

This weekend, Columbia will square off against UC Santa Barbara at 10 a.m. on Sunday, followed by a 9 a.m. match on Monday against UNLV. Next weekend’s Friday match against the University at Albany will begin at 1 p.m., followed by a Saturday match with FIU at noon.