Sports | Women's Basketball

Women’s basketball blown out at Princeton

• Stepping Up | Senior guard Taylor Ward finished her Columbia career with a season-high 16 points in the Light Blue’s loss to Princeton.

The women’s basketball team ended its season on the losing side of a 92-48 blowout. With the win, Princeton (20-7, 11-2 Ivy) clinched its spot in the postseason for the fifth straight season and will play Penn, which downed the Lions Friday night, on Tuesday in the de facto Ivy League championship game.

Columbia (6-22, 3-11 Ivy) started off relatively strong. Playing in her final game in a light blue uniform, senior guard Taylor Ward opened play with a three. Another three from junior guard Miwa Tachibana kept Columbia within one, down 9-8 halfway through the first half. But Princeton then came alive with an 8-0 run, taking a commanding lead that it would not relinquish. Sophomore guard Michelle Miller contributed 13 points in the half, leading Princeton to a 46-22 advantage at the break.

The onslaught continued through the second half as the Tigers cruised to a 44-point win.

While the Tigers had four players in double figures, Ward led all scorers with a season-high 16 points. The remainder of the Columbia squad struggled on both ends of the court, shooting only 29.8 percent from the field and out rebounded 58-25.

The Lions finish the season seventh in the Ancient Eight standings, one game behind Brown for sixth and one ahead of Dartmouth in eighth.

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports