Sports | Fencing

WEEKEND PREVIEW: Fencing, Women's basketball, Wrestling, Lacrosse, Track, Tennis

• last time | Senior forward Courtney Bradford will play her final games for Columbia this weekend at Penn and Princeton.

Fencing at the NCAA Regional Championships and wrestling at the EIWA Championships highlight this weekend's action for Columbia.

FencingKelly Reller / Spectator Staff Writer

The Light Blue will be represented by 19 of its best individual fencers this weekend at the NCAA Northeast Regionals. The qualifying team members will travel to Wellesley, Mass., on Sunday to vie for advancement to the NCAA Championships the following week in Columbus, Ohio.

Of the 19 who qualified, 13 Columbia fencers will be returning to Regionals with experience in the competition. The men’s squad, which wrapped up its team season with a 27-3 record, will be returning 10 of 11 participants from last year...(Read more)

Women's basketballCatie Pellerin / Spectator Staff Writer

Columbia (6-20, 3-9 Ivy) will finish its first season under head coach Stephanie Glance this weekend with a pair of games against co-Ivy League leaders Penn (19-6, 9-2 Ivy) and Princeton (18-7, 9-2 Ivy). The Lions fell to both teams at home four weeks ago, losing to the Tigers and dropping a heartbreaker to the Quakers in the Play 4Kay game the following night.

Since then, both Penn and Princeton have led the Ancient Eight, each winning seven of its last eight matchups, and are going into the final week of conference play tied for first.

“We’re not going to match up player for player, but we’re looking to be competitive,” Glance said...(Read more)

WrestlingBen Sheng / Spectator Staff Writer

The wrestling team will head to Philadelphia this weekend to compete in the 2014 EIWA Championships, looking to qualify its wrestlers for the national tournament.

The Lions went 5-5 in EIWA competition this season en route to an 8-6 record. Junior Shane Hughes and sophomore Angelo Amenta received first-team All-Ivy honors, senior Penn Gottfried made the All-Ivy second team, and senior co-captain Josh Houldsworth received an All-Ivy honorable mention.

The conference tournament will feature 18 teams fielding 10 wrestlers each, all vying to earn one of the EIWA’s 47 automatic bids to the NCAA Championships in two weeks...(Read more)

LacrosseBen Drachman / Columbia Daily Spectator

Head coach Liz Kittleman Jackson’s Lions (1-1, 0-1 Ivy) travel to Ithaca, N.Y. on Saturday to take on Cornell (2-1, 0-1 Ivy), hoping to notch their first Ivy win since 2011...(Read more)

Men's tennisKyle Perrotti / Spectator Senior Staff Writer

The No. 27 men’s tennis team may have dropped seven spots in the ITA rankings last week, but the ranking is not a reflection of the team’s recent play. The Lions are 9-1 in 2014, their only loss coming to then-No. 3 Georgia on the road in January. The Light Blue will look to continue its strong season this weekend against Binghamton, a team that has made its way into the rankings this week at No. 75...(Read more)

Women's tennisMyles Simmons / Spectator Senior Staff Writer

After sweeping its competition last weekend, the No. 43 women’s tennis team will hit the court on Saturday to face the University of Massachusetts.

With a week before the start of spring break, head coach Ilene Weintraub, CC ’02, said that the team has been practicing techniques that will help in outdoor competition. Although they haven’t been able to get out of the bubble yet, Weintraub said the Lions definitely will be practicing outside when they get to Las Vegas over break...(Read more)

Track and fieldFinn Vigeland / Spectator Senior Staff Writer

This weekend is something of a purgatory for the track and field team. Although Saturday’s meet is called the “Columbia Final Qualifier,” it’s now a misnomer due to a rules change that made this past Sunday the last day to qualify for NCAAs...(Read more)

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports