Sports | Squash

Ramit Tandon makes semis as Lions compete at CSA Individual Championships

• Semi-finalist | Junior Ramit Tandon made it all the way to the semifinals, where he lost to Amr Khalifa.
  • Youjin Jenny Jang / Senior Staff Photographer
    Sultana of Squash | First-year Colette Sultana made it to the second round in the women's B Division.

Members of both the men’s and women’s squash teams competed at the season-ending CSA Individual Nationals this weekend, posting a number of high finishes.

Junior Ramit Tandon lost in the semifinals of the men’s A Division. His younger brother and teammate, first-year Rishi Tandon, made it to the second round. In the men’s B Division, first-year Joshua Sekhar made it to the third round, while junior Danial Saleem lost in the second round. 

On the women’s side, first-year Colette Sultana and sophomore Catherine Jenkins both lost in the second round, while first-year Grace van Arkel made it to the third round.

The elder Tandon put last year’s disappointing quarterfinals loss behind him, making it to the semis in Philadelphia, Pa., and beating his younger brother on the way.

“We played each other, second round. It was good, it was fun playing him,” Ramit said. “It was the first time we played each other in a match—official match. People enjoyed it, I enjoyed playing him, so it was fun.”

But the junior ultimately fell to St. Lawrence’s Amr Khalifa, the two-seed and tournament runner up.

“It was a good match, he played really well—exceptionally well,” Ramit said of Khalifa.

“All over, I think it was not a bad weekend for Columbia squash,” Ramit said.

eli.schultz@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports