Sports | Men's Basketball

Lions top Dartmouth in Hanover, 84-72

• Alpha Dog | Junior forward Alex Rosenberg led the Lions in scoring again, finishing with 31.

Updated on March 1 at 12:23 a.m.

The Lions won their fourth straight game on Friday night, taking down Dartmouth in Hanover, N.H., 84-72.

Columbia (18-10, 7-4 Ivy) started strong and held a double-digit lead early. But Dartmouth (9-16, 2-9 Ivy) rallied, and closed the half on an 18-10 run. The Big Green trailed by three, 33-30, after 20 minutes.

But the Light Blue picked it up in the second. 

The Lions went back up by double-digits after sophomore guard Isaac Cohen hit a jump shot with 13:11 to go in the game.

Columbia kept Dartmouth at bay the rest of the way. The Lions briefly let the Big Green get within seven, but otherwise stayed ahead comfortably.

Light Blue junior forward Alex Rosenberg led all scorers with 31 points, putting on a flawless offensive display. He finished 6-for-7 from the field and a perfect 17-for-17 from the free-throw line.

“He’s one of the best players in the league. He’s just proven that, and is just willing us to victories,” Columbia head coach Kyle Smith said. “He’s a tough matchup, and hard to guard—you do it that many times in a row, it’s not a fluke.”

Thanks in large part to Rosenberg’s stellar effort, Columbia won its seventh Ivy game, clinching at least a .500 record in conference play.

“It was definitely a goal, don’t get me wrong—it was a goal going into the year that we wanted to get seven wins,” Smith said. “You’ve got to get there before you can think about winning.”

With sophomore guard Grant Mullins out for the third straight game, junior guard Steve Frankoski again played well in increased minutes, scoring 14 points. Smith said that Mullins will be out against Harvard as well.

The Light Blue will take on the Crimson at Lavietes Pavilion at 7 p.m. on Saturday.

eli.schultz@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

Good job! This team is showing real maturity by beating teams they should beat.

AROZ should be Ivy Player of the Year.

+1
+2
-1
UnionLeague posted on

Go Lions!

+1
-1
-1

The Lions are great. I was watching the Harvard game tonight, and there is no question that Harvard needs to be investigated. Their men's basketball team is clearly too good for this conference. Maybe, Harvard needs to leave the league.

+1
+1
-1