Sports | Fencing

Women’s fencing sweeps, men’s fencing splits versus NYU, Sacred Heart

After a top-notch campaign and an impressive record to show for it, the Columbia fencing team finished its regular season against NYU and Sacred Heart at Friday’s Historical Meet.

The Lions defended their home turf against NYU with sound wins from the men’s and women’s squads at 18-9 and 19-8, respectively. But the Pioneers put up a bigger fight for the Light Blue and were able to overcome the men’s team, 15-12, thanks largely to a sterling 7-2 record in foil. The Columbia women’s squad held strong, though, with a 16-11 win.

Senior sabrist Melvin Rodriguez, who went 5-1 at the event, said he was proud of the team’s performance, despite the men’s loss to Sacred Heart. 

“Every single competition is a team effort. I know how hard it is to have to go out there and give it your all for every bout,” Rodriguez said. “And when you lose, you just have to take that and come back a better fencer.”  

Friday marked Rodriguez’s last collegiate event with Columbia, but the sabrist will continue to fence for Puerto Rico this July at the Pan American Zonal Championships. 

The Columbia men’s squad will end the season 27-3 and the women’s team finishes 23-7. Rodriguez said it felt great to be a part of a team that has improved so much over the past few years.

“We were 2-16 my freshman year, and to have that complete reversal during my four years here is incredible,” Rodriguez said. 

Individual competition will continue on March 9 with the NCAA Regional Championships in Wellesley, Mass.

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @KellyReller