Sports | Women's Basketball

Lions win second straight at Brown

• Kiera Wood / Senior Staff Photographer
    Hot Hand | Junior guard Miwa Tachibana scored a career-high 20 points to lead Columbia in its victory over Brown.

Columbia (6-17, 3-6 Ivy) took home its second straight win with a hard fought 66-59 victory over Brown (8-15, 2-7 Ivy) Friday night. The Lions had not won consecutive games against their Ancient Eight foes since 2011. 

While the win itself was impressive, head coach Stephanie Glance was encouraged by how her team played. 

“We had a lot of people contribute. That’s when we’re at our best and put ourselves in a position to win.”

The Light Blue opened the game with a 7-0 run, including four points from first year forward Carolyn Gallagher who went on to score a career-high 15. Junior guard Miwa Tachibana also had a career-night totaling 20 points. 

“She’s a really good player, she makes her shots and makes the most out of what she has,” said Glance of Tachibana. “If she misses a shot she gets it right back again and that’s what really good shooters do, that’s a shooter’s mentality.”

While Columbia lead for most of the first half, the Bears tied it up at 23-23, with 4:12 to play. A 5-2 run from that mark gave Brown the 28-25 advantage going into the half. 

The Lions had yet to win a game when down at the half this season. At the break the Lions were able to adjust their game plan. 

“We wanted to turn that around and be the aggressor on offense, and we did,” said Glance. 

Gallagher made the quick adjustment and tied the game at 28-28 with a three-point play to open the second half. Then Columbia found the three-ball. Tachibana scored three straight from outside the arc, and another two treys from senior guard Taylor Ward gave the Lions a 50-39 lead with 9:42 to play. 

Brown fought their way to within three with a 15-7 run, making it 57-54 with 3:15 to play. 

Sophomore guard Sara Mead subbed in for Ward, making a key steal and going 5-5 from the charity stripe in the games closing minutes to seal the win for the Lions.

Columbia returns to the court at 7 p.m. at Yale.