Sports | Women's Basketball

Women’s basketball drops 6th straight

• Keira Wood / Senior Staff Photographer
    Low point | Junior guard Miwa Tachibana put forth a solid effort, scoring nine points off 3-6 shooting from downtown, but it was nowhere near enough to stick with the red-hot Crimson.

The women’s basketball team (4-17, 1-6 Ivy) went up to Cambridge riding a five-game losing streak to take on league leader Harvard (16-5, 6-1 Ivy), a team that boasts both size and scoring ability.

The Crimson made it clear early on that the Lions would have to wait another night to break their streak. Harvard shot lights-out early on, going 17-for-25 from the field, as well as an astonishing 7-for-10 from deep. The Lions were unable to muster an effective defensive effort in the second half, and the Light Blue fell to Harvard, 99-64.

Friday’s contest marks the most points allowed by Columbia since Jan. 5, 2002, when the Lions gave up 104 points to Marist. For the Crimson, which outrebounded Columbia 50-24, this victory marks its 20th consecutive win at home.

Crimson guard Christine Clark scored a game-high 21 points, while first-year forward Carolyn Gallagher scored 10 points to lead Columbia.

The Light Blue will make its way north to Hanover, N.H., to take on Dartmouth tomorrow night at 7 p.m.

kyle.perrotti@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports