Sports | Tennis

WEEKEND PREVIEW: Wrestling, Men's Squash, Men's Tennis, Archery, Track and Field

• Youjin Jenny Jang / Senior Staff Photographer
    no snow | Flight cancellations forced the track and field team to forgo its trip to Iowa, but other teams will compete as scheduled, including men's squash at the CSA National Championships.

Aside from men's and women's basketball, five teams are in action in the final weekend before spring sports begin.

Wrestling—Ben Sheng / Spectator Staff Writer

This weekend, the wrestling team (6-4, 3-3 EIWA) enters the meat of its Ivy League schedule, going on the last road trip of the regular season to wrestle Princeton (8-2, 8-2 EIWA) on Friday and Penn (5-6, 4-4 EIWA) on Saturday.

The Lions will be fighting for second place in the Ivy League, having been eliminated from first-place contention by Cornell in last Friday’s match. A schedule front-loaded with Ivy opponents allowed the Big Red to sew up its 12th consecutive Ivy title with last Friday’s 22-15 victory over the Lions.

This weekend’s dual meets still count for EIWA standings, though. Head coach Carl Fronhofer said the Lions can treat Ivy League teams like other opponents, but noted that the fact that Ancient Eight squads see each other more is a double-edged sword...(Read more)

Men's Squash—Eli Schultz / Spectator Senior Staff Writer

Coming off a pair of losses last weekend to Princeton (5-7, 3-4 Ivy) and Penn (8-4, 4-3 Ivy) to close out its regular season, the men’s squash team will head to Cambridge, Mass., on Friday for the CSA National Team Championships. 

The No. 11 Lions (6-6, 2-5 Ivy) are seeded third in the B division...(Read more)

Track and Field—Finn Vigeland / Spectator Senior Staff Writer

The Iowa State Classic this weekend will be one of the best indicators of the times needed to qualify for nationals. The slate includes about 50 of the nation’s top track and field programs, including Oklahoma State and Northern Arizona, and tough competition tends to push runners to break their best times. The meet paid for several programs—including Columbia—to fly to Ames in order to stage the best meet possible.

But the Light Blue will have to observe the top-tier action from afar...(Read more)

Men's Tennis—Kyle Perrotti / Spectator Senior Staff Writer

After a highly successful fall campaign and start to its winter season, the No. 40 men’s tennis team is headed to Hanover, N.H., to compete in an eight-team field at ECAC Championships this weekend.

The Light Blue enters the tournament as the No. 2 seed, despite being ranked No. 24 in the most recent CTO/MDTA Division I Men’s Coaches Poll—a 25-team poll in which Harvard—the No. 1 seed at ECACs—remains unranked...(Read more)

Archery—Muneeb Alam / Spectator Senior Staff Writer 

The archery team heads to the New Jersey State Indoor Championships on Saturday...(Read more)

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports