Sports | Squash

Men's squash wraps up season at CSA National Team Championships

• Youjin Jenny Jang / Senior Staff Photographer
    Back at it | Men's squash, led by junior Ramit Tandon, looks to rebound after last weekend's losses to Penn and Princeton.

Coming off a pair of losses last weekend to Princeton (5-7, 3-4 Ivy) and Penn (8-4, 4-3 Ivy) to close out its regular season, the men’s squash team will head to Cambridge, Mass., on Friday for the CSA National Team Championships. 

The No. 11 Lions (6-6, 2-5 Ivy) are seeded third in the B division.

“Of course we are disappointed we did not make the A,” junior Ramit Tandon said. “But I think it’s a good chance for us to win the B.”

The top eight teams in the nation compete in the A division, which means No. 9 Princeton will be the top seed in the B division. Winning the tournament would thus allow the Lions to avenge their regular season loss to the Tigers, and according to Tandon, that is Columbia’s goal entering the tournament. 

“We can definitely make the finals and upset Princeton,” Tandon said. “We are going in to win the tournament—the B division. It’s not that we’re playing for a position, it’s just—we’re going to try and win.”

The Light Blue has had an up-and-down season overall. Columbia beat Dartmouth for the first time in program history, but also posted a losing record in league play.

Despite the Lions’ inconsistencies, Tandon said he was confident in his team going into the tournament. 

“We start off at Drexel on Friday, and we take it up from there,” Tandon said. “We’ve been playing well as a team.”

eli.schultz@columbiaspectator.com @elischultz28