Sports | Women's Basketball

AROUND THE LEAGUE: Harvard atop crowded Ivy women's basketball standings

After week three of Ivy League play, three teams are tied for first in a tight race. Harvard (15-5, 5-1 Ivy), Penn (14-5, 4-1 Ivy), and Princeton (13-6, 4-1 Ivy) swept their weekend slates, and Quaker standout Alyssa Baron received Player of the Week honors as Penn defeated Columbia and Cornell on the road. Cornell (11-9, 3-3 Ivy), Brown (8-12, 2-4), Columbia (4-16, 1-5 Ivy), and Dartmouth (3-17, 0-6 Ivy) all trekked along to yet another week of mediocrity, while Yale (10-10, 4-2 Ivy) earned a split. 

The matchup of the week featured first-place Harvard taking on the first-place Bulldogs. Both teams were coming off convincing wins. On Friday, the Crimson dominated Brown, 91-71, behind 19 points from guard Christine Clark and electric 5-for-6 shooting from downtown from guard Kit Metoyer. Not to be outdone, Yale defeated the Big Green, 86-52, behind a balanced attack and a defense which limited every Dartmouth player save guard Fanni Szabo. 

On Saturday, the two titans met. Yale and Harvard went back and forth until the last second, when the Elis’ attempted buzzer-beater bounced off the rim. The missed shot handed the Crimson its second win of the weekend. Harvard was led by junior Erin McDonnell, who recorded her first career double-double following a 17-point, 11-rebound performance. Yale’s Sarah Halejian put up a season-high 27 points in her team’s loss.

Meanwhile, Brown made up for its blowout loss on Friday by taking care of Dartmouth on Saturday, 71-55. Forward Carly Wellington scored 10 points in just 11 minutes off the bench for the Bears.

The Quakers took a road trip through the Empire State, picking up wins in both Morningside Heights and Ithaca along the way. Penn was led by 5-foot-10 Miami native Alyssa Baron, who scored 53 points during the two-game stretch and put up a season-high 28 points against Cornell on Friday night. She followed up her 28-point performance with a 25-point clinic against a less-than-convincing Lions squad. 

The Tigers’ weekend wasn’t very different from that of the Quakers. Princeton journeyed on Route 80 through the territories of its neighbors to the north to tame the Lions and Big Red. On Friday night, Princeton walloped Columbia in a 70-41 blowout, and then followed up its win with a 71-65 effort in Ithaca. The team was led by junior Blake Dietrick, who knocked down 68 percent of her shots en route to a 34-point weekend. 

In New Haven, the Bulldogs dropped one of two matchups to rival Harvard, but still have a chance to regain a first-place tie this weekend against Penn and Princeton. Columbia and Cornell will also both travel to take on the Big Green and Crimson. The Quakers and Tigers will remain at home, seeking to extend their winning streaks.

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports