Sports | Women's Basketball

Women’s basketball drops third straight in Ivy play

• Kiera Wood / Senior Staff Photographer
    League of her own | First-year forward Tori Oliver continues to lead the Light Blue offense, scoring a career-high 21 points in the Lions’ loss to Brown.

Columbia’s auspicious start to Ivy League play has been all but erased, as the team dropped its third straight conference game. Following its Friday night defeat versus Yale, the Light Blue (4-14, 1-3 Ivy) was overpowered 79-57 by Brown (7-11, 1-3 Ivy).

The Lions started off slow yet again, as the Bears took control with an 8-0 run to open the contest. Although Columbia bounced back with a 7-0 run of its own, a 12-3 exchange in favor of Brown gave the visitors an early 20-10 lead. With senior guard Taylor Ward returning to the floor, the Lions adjusted to their natural positions matching up against Brown. The teams traded possessions and baskets for much of the half, but the Bear offense gained momentum behind 11 points from guard Lauren Clarke. Two free throws in the half’s final seconds from Light Blue first-year forward Tori Oliver kept Brown’s lead in the single digits as the Lions went into the break trailing 31-22.

The second half opened in similar fashion. Brown capitalized on a 16-6 run from which it would not look back. Clarke and guard Sophie Bikofsky both netted 12 points in the half, with Clarke going on to lead all scorers with 23 points. Oliver contributed 21 points to the Lions’ effort, more than doubling the production of the team’s next leading scorer, Ward, with 10 points.

Columbia will face Penn and Princeton next weekend.

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports