Sports | Men's Basketball

Men’s basketball drops second straight

• Kiera Wood / Senior Staff Photographer
    back on point | First-year forward Luke Petrasek led the Lions with 10 points in the first half.

The men’s basketball team’s Ivy title chances—already slim with a strong Harvard team still undefeated—are now even slimmer. After falling to Yale Friday night, the Light Blue (13-8, 2-2 Ivy) dropped a tight 64-56 decision to Brown (11-7, 3-1 Ivy).

The Lions and Bears were neck and neck for the first half. The Lions rushed some long shots early in the half, but still didn’t have much success later in the half after settling down—clean looks around the net were tough to come by with Brown forward and reigning Ivy Defensive Player of the Year Cedric Kuakumensah roaming the paint. The Lions trailed 28-26 at the half.

The Light Blue had more success to open the second half. Sophomore guard Maodo Lo and junior forward Alex Rosenberg each knocked down threes to put Columbia in front by two early on. But an and-one by Brown center Rafael Maia with just over six minutes left put the Bears up by 3, 52-49.

Down by three, Columbia had a chance to tie with a little over 30 seconds left, but Lo missed a long three-point attempt. Brown was able to rebound and break Columbia’s press, and a dunk by Kuakumensah put the hosts up by five and all but sealed the game.

The Lions play at Penn and Princeton next weekend.

Check back for updates.

muneeb.alam@columbiaspectator.com | @muneebalamcu

CU True Blue posted on

A lost weekend. We typically struggle at Princeton (even though last year's game was close), and I'm sure Penn will give us trouble. Not particularly looking forward to those two games, and I'm now thinking that best case, we finish fifth in the league behind Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and Brown. And we may even finish sixth if Dartmouth overachieves.

My prediction is 6-8 in conference.

Tonight was a must-win, and we didn't get it done. Again.

+1
+4
-1
Alum posted on

Well, I was hoping I was wrong the other night but I see this being another wasted season. For whatever reason, a team that comes close to upsetting the #1 team on the road can't seem to beat teams like Yale and Brown. Truly a mystery but at least we know early on that no ivy championship is I the cards once again. Hopefully it will happen in my lifetime...

+1
-7
-1
Frustrated Lions Fan posted on

What ivy league title chances? How about winning a few ivy league games first. The Lions free-flow style of play doesn't seem to lead to wins in the ivy league. Just like last year, this team can't play in the half court. You have to be able to play in the half
court to win games in the ivy league.I wish coach smith would be more aggressively defensively in conference. In non-conference play, the lions were able to speed up the game by pressing other teams in the backcourt. The lions are usually more athletic/versatile at every position. Coach smith needs to use that to his advantage. My eyes tell me Harvard is the best team in the league and Cornell is the worst. Every other team looks about equal. I would also like to see more movement away from the ball. Overall, the lions seem to tighten up in ivy league play. I start to wonder if it's mental.

+1
+3
-1
Puzzled Alum posted on

Why is the writer of this article is talking about Columbia's Ivy title chance when the team was ranked number six out of eight preseason?

+1
-11
-1
Frustrated Lions Fan posted on

They were actually predicted to finish last. The lions played with that in mind the first two weekends. The lions need to play with that chip on their shoulder. There is nothing to lose-especially when Harvard is the clear favorite. I would like to see Columbia come out and be very aggressive next weekend. Would like to see some defensive pressure and that same "we have nothing to lose mentality." I would also like to see Frankie play. He has so much energy and can supply a spark off the bench.

+1
0
-1
Puzzled Alum posted on

The season last year was a great disappointment in that the Lions were picked--preseason--to finish near the top of the League, and the non-League games were good. Then the Lions subsequently finished last in the League.

+1
+2
-1
Puzzled Alum posted on

+1
-1
-1
Alum posted on

I think a lot of the disappointment results from the Lions looking good and showing promise before the Ivy season starts. Last year they had a HUGE win at Nova and then choked when the season counted. This year, they showed toughness and potentially a promising season in Lansing and now they are losing to the likes of Yale, Brown. That is the frustrating part. Yeah, it looks like Harvard will run away with the title again, but damn, it would've been nice to see the Lions make a run and compete.

+1
0
-1
Puzzled Alum posted on

I don't think it's a matter of the team choking during the Ivy season. More likely, it comes down to a matter of money for both the b-ball and football teams. Our Ivy opponents are probably just better funded. Additionally, with Columbia's poor track record in football and b-ball, it will be difficult to get the best Ivy-bound athletes to come here. Not sure the University trustees and administration are willing to do anything about this situation, although the Campbell sports center is a step in the right direction.

+1
+2
-1
Frustrated Lions Fan posted on

This team has a lot of really good athletes. I would argue that Lo and Rosenberg are two of the best athletes in the league. Petrasek and Osetkowski are 2 big men that can play both inside and out. Besides Harvard, I don't think any other school in the Ivy League has better athletes.

+1
-1
-1