Sports | Tennis

Men’s tennis takes on Georgia State and DePaul at home

• Dynamic duo | No. 14 doubles team Ashok Narayana and Max Schnur will be in action this weekend as they look to continue this season’s success.

After a strong showing at the ITA Kick-Off tournament last weekend, where it narrowly lost to No. 3 Georgia and swept then-No. 36 Washington, the No. 40 men’s tennis team has its sights set on a pair of weekend contests against Georgia State and DePaul.

Lion head coach Bid Goswami thinks last weekend’s performance showed that the team is on the right track. He is ready to see if Columbia can keep moving forward with a pair of wins this weekend.

“Last weekend against Georgia and Washington was actually a really good weekend, and I’m hoping we can keep it up and get better,” he said. “I think the boys know how close they were playing with the No. 3 team in the country.”

Goswami is especially excited to get back to playing matches on Columbia’s home court at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center.

“All of our guys, one through six, have been playing well, and we won some good matches last weekend, and now they are coming to our home. It’s always great to be back on our home courts,” Goswami said.

This weekend’s matches will be Columbia’s last for nearly two weeks. The Light Blue will next compete at the ECAC Championships in Hanover, N.H., from Feb. 14 to 16. 

Goswami is hoping the team can pick up a pair of wins going into ECACs—the winter season’s biggest event.

“They’re good teams, but if we can play to our potential, I think we’ll come away with the wins,” he said.

The Lions will take on Georgia State at 2 p.m. on Friday, and will face DePaul on Sunday at 1 p.m.

kyle.perrotti@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports