Sports | Men's Basketball

AROUND THE LEAGUE: Harvard cruises, Yale falls in second weekend of conference play

The second weekend of Ivy play in men’s basketball saw Brown top Yale and Harvard take down Dartmouth. Cornell continued to struggle, dropping its second-straight to Columbia, and Princeton and Penn both won their regular-season nonconference finales.

Guard Sean McGonagill—a first-team All-Ivy player last year—showed why he’s one of the league’s best players this past week. In a 26-minute, 29-point effort against Yale (7-9, 1-1 Ivy), the Bears’ (9-7, 1-1 Ivy) standout went 7-for-9 beyond the arc to cap his Ivy League Player of the Week performance.

The senior stepped up when his team needed him most, leading a second-half surge highlighted by a four-point play, which the Bears rode to a hard-fought victory. 

After a surprising loss to Florida Atlantic, the Crimson marked its return to Ivy League play with a resounding 80-50 victory over the Big Green (7-7, 0-2 Ivy). Led by guard Laurent Rivard, who scored 15 points, Harvard (15-3, 2-0 Ivy) shot an astounding 65.9 percent from the floor in the win.

Going into next weekend’s matchups against Princeton (12-3, 0-1 Ivy) and the Quakers—the latter will be nationally televised—the Crimson sits atop the Ivy standings alongside Columbia and Penn (4-11, 1-0 Ivy). 

Cornell (1-15, 0-2 Ivy) still remains winless in Division I play, after a loss to Columbia (13-6, 2-0 Ivy). Columbia, led by sophomore guard Maodo Lo and junior center Cory Osetkowski, extended its winning streak to six with the win. Devin Cherry led the way for the Big Red with 12 points, and forward Nenad Tomic contributed 11 points and seven rebounds off the bench. Cornell will head to Brown on Saturday, before taking on the Bulldogs in New Haven on Sunday.

Finally, both Penn and Princeton came out victorious in nonconference contests. Tiger forward Spencer Weisz—who captured the Rookie of the Week award—led the way for Princeton, netting 15 points in just 17 minutes of play, as the Tigers captured a win in their final nonconference game of the season against Kean.

Quaker guards Miles Jackson-Cartwright and Tony Hicks both chipped in 23 points as Penn easily handled NJIT in an 89-74 win. Following the hiatus, both Princeton and Penn head back into conference play this weekend, facing Harvard and Dartmouth.

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports