Sports | Women's Basketball

Women's basketball falls to Stony Brook in tight contest

• Kiera Wood / Senior Staff Photographer
    Marvelous Miwa | Junior guard Miwa Tachibana led the Light Blue with 13 points on Sunday.

The women’s basketball team (3-11) was able to keep it close with Stony Brook (9-4) for a full 40 minutes of play Sunday in Levien, but in the end, the Seawolves proved to be too much for the Light Blue to handle.

Early on, Columbia outhustled its opponents and led by as many as seven points in the first half. But by the break, the Seawolves closed the margin to two and headed into the locker room trailing 26-24.

Stony Brook came out of the gates aggressively in the second half and quickly took the lead. The largest advantage for Stony Brook came a couple of minutes into the second half, when it was up by seven. But the Lions slowly worked their way back, and even took the lead with 8:10 left in the game. From then on it was a battle, but Stony Brook outlasted the Light Blue and came out on top 57-54.

Despite the loss, Columbia was able to show some of the aggressiveness on the boards that head coach Stephanie Glance has emphasized all season. The Lions outrebounded Stony Brook 47-36.

Senior forward Courtney Bradford finished the contest with a double-double, getting 12 points and 11 rebounds, while first-year forwards Tori Oliver and Carolyn Gallagher and junior forward Amara Mbionwu were able to pull down seven rebounds each. Junior guard Miwa Tachibana led all Lion scorers with 13 points.

The Lions have a long break before taking the court again on Jan. 18, when they host Cornell to kick off league play.

kyle.perrotti@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports