Sports | Men's Basketball

Men's basketball to face St. Francis Brooklyn in first contest of 2014

• Kiera Wood / Senior Staff Photographer
    Red-Hot Rose | Junior forward Alex Rosenberg, who had a career-high 23 points in the Lions win over Colgate on Dec. 30, is now second on the team in scoring with an average of 11.9 points per game.

The men's basketball team (8-6) will host its first home game of 2014 when the Lions face off against St. Francis Brooklyn (9-5) on Saturday. 

The Terriers are on a hot streak. Guard Ben Mockford and forward Jalen Cannon both scored 17 points in the Terriers' last win—their fourth straight. With a fifth, they will make Northeast Conference history as the first team to win 10 nonconference games before the start of league play. 

Columbia is close to the 10-win mark as well, and also enters the game on a high note, following a thrilling double-overtime victory over Colgate on Dec. 30. First-year forward Luke Petrasek has earned Ivy League Rookie of the Week two weeks in a row, and the team looks to be in good form as the start of Ivy play approaches. 

The Lions have not played St. Francis since a 59-53 loss in January 2010, but lead the all-time series 10-7. This season, the Lions have performed well at home, boasting a 5-1 record heading into the game.

The game will be held in Levien Gymnasium at 4 p.m. It will be the first in a four-game home stand for the Lions.

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports