Sports | Wrestling

Sports Roundup: Soccer, Basketball, Wrestling, and Swimming

• David Brann / Senior Staff Photographer
    new heights | First-year forward Luke Petrasek has scored at least 12 points for the men's basketball team in three straight games.

The big story over winter break has been the announcement of a new women's soccer coach, following a six-week search. Meanwhile, it's been a good couple of weeks for the men's and women's basketball teams, as both have taken two of three games. Wrestling was also in action last weekend, and men's swimming will start its winter slate in a few days.

Women's soccer

The search for a new women's soccer head coach did not take very long. Athletic Director M. Dianne Murphy announced on Monday that former LIU Brooklyn coach Tracey Bartholomew would be taking over for Kevin McCarthy, who resigned on Nov. 18 after two decades at the helm.

Men's basketball (8-6)

On Jan. 21, the Lions knocked off Fairleigh Dickinson 82-59, snapping a two-game losing skid. A week later, Columbia fell to St. John's 65-59 in a tightly contested affair at the Barclays Center. And on Monday, Columbia defeated Colgate in a double-overtime thriller. First-year forward Luke Petrasek had strong performances in all three games and is now the two-time defending Ivy League Rookie of the Week.

The team begins a four-game home stand on Saturday, hosting St. Francis Brooklyn.

Women's basketball (3-10)

The Light Blue notched its second and third wins of the season. To start winter break, it knocked off Kennesaw State 78-61. Sophomore guard Sara Mead scored 18 points to lead the Lions. On Saturday, Columbia hosted and defeated Lehigh 87-80, as senior forward Courtney Bradford moved into the Lions' top 10 for career rebounds. The team's two-game winning streak was snapped on Monday, however, with a 68-47 loss to Bryant.

The Lions next play on Sunday against Stony Brook.

Wrestling (1-2)

The team traveled to Illinois to compete in the Midlands Championships over the weekend. It took 12th out of 47, finishing in front of four Ivy rivals. Junior Shane Hughes had the highlight performance for Columbia. He took runner-up in the 174-lb. weight class, falling to a wrestler from first-place finisher Iowa in the final. The Lions visit Rutgers on Friday.

Men's swimming and diving (2-2)

The Light Blue will face Bucknell on Saturday. It defeated the Bison handily last year at home, 209-21, taking first in 30 of 35 events. But the Bison have had strong performances so far this season, winning five of six meets and nearly besting Yale—which the Lions edged in mid-November.