Sports | Men's Basketball

Men’s basketball ends year with double-overtime win over Colgate

• Kiera Wood / Senior Staff Photographer
    Lookin' Rosier | Junior forward Alex Rosenberg scored a game-high 23 points in the Lions’ win.

The men’s basketball team (8-6) closed 2013 the same way it opened the year—with a win over Colgate (6-5).

Monday's victory, though, was a little dicier than the seven-point triumph last January. The Lions trailed by seven with just two minutes to play, but their starters pulled through and propelled the team to a double-overtime win, 76-70.

Junior forward Alex Rosenberg, sophomore guards Maodo Lo and Grant Mullins, and first-year forward Luke Petrasek—the two-time defending Ivy League Rookie of the Week—all played at least three-fourths of the game, and they all made those minutes count on the scoreboard.

With Columbia down 62-55 with under two minutes to go, Lo and Mullins led Columbia on a quick 7-0 run to knot the game. Mullins hit a layup, and Lo followed that up with a steal and fast-break layup of his own. After a steal by Rosenberg, Mullins was fouled. He hit the first of two free-throw attempts and Rosenberg rebounded the second, leading to Lo’s layup, which tied the game at 62.

Rosenberg also scored Columbia’s only four points in the first overtime, capping off a 23-point, nine-rebound, three-steal night in his first start of the season. 

Tied at 66 after a scoreless two minutes to open the second overtime, Mullins found Petrasek inside for a layup to put Columbia ahead—the final lead change in a game that featured 14 of them. Mullins then connected from beyond the arc to put the Light Blue up by five, and he and Lo made their free throws to ice the win.

Columbia is next in action Saturday, hosting St. Francis Brooklyn.