Sports | Men's Basketball

Men’s basketball to take on Colgate in final contest of 2013

• Kiera Wood / Senior Staff Photographer
    Head of the Pack | Sophomore guard Grant Mullins led Columbia with 17 points against St. John’s and is the Light Blue’s leading scorer on the season, averaging 12.6 points per game.

Coming off a hard-fought 65-59 loss against St. Johns, the Lions (7-6) head upstate to face Colgate (6-4) for their final game of the 2013 calendar year. 

The Colgate Raiders return to the court after over a week’s hiatus. The team was last in action on Dec. 22, notching a 79-51 victory over Ursinus. Colgate is off to its best 10-game start since the 2007-08 season, and boasts a 3-1 record at home. 

Columbia has yet to find success on the road this season, having gone 0-4 as the away team thus far. However, Columbia's recent play has demonstrated that the Lions are up for the challenge. Columbia has hung tough with all but one of its opponents thus far, and lost by six points or less in four of its defeats. Prior to the St. John’s loss, the Lions had won two straight, and three of their last four games.

Several of the men have recently put up noteworthy performances. First-year forward Luke Petrasek’s stellar game helped the Lions to a Dec. 21 win over Fairleigh Dickinson—earning him Ivy League Rookie of the Week honors—and sophomore guard Grant Mullins had 17 points against St. John's.

Last season’s contest between these two teams was a tight one, with Columbia triumphing 66-59. 

Tipoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. on Dec. 30 at Colgate.

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports