Sports | Women's Basketball

Women’s basketball picks up 2nd win of season at Kennesaw State

• Spectacular Sara | Sophomore guard Sara Mead kickstarted the Lions’ offense with 18 points in her team’s second win of 2013-14.

After suffering an 83-67 loss at Iona, the women’s basketball team (2-9) headed south to Georgia where it took on the Kennesaw State Owls (1-9) for the first time in program history.

The Lions, who came off a 12-day break from competition, were looking to win their first game since the season opener against LIU Brooklyn, and that is just what they did, putting the Owls away, 78-61.

After being down for most of the first half, the Lions were able to mount a late run to grab the lead going into halftime, 28-25.

The story to that point was a familiar one for the Light Blue, which has been able to keep it close for 20 minutes with a number of its opponents. But so far this season, the team has not been able to muster the energy and find the consistency to outlast its opponents down the stretch.

However, this time around it was Columbia that was able to outlast the Owls in the second half, shooting efficiently and going on multiple scoring runs to stay in front.

Leading the Lions’ scoring effort was sophomore guard Sara Mead. Mead put up 18 points on 6-of-9 shooting, going 3-for-4 from beyond the arc. Additionally, junior Amara Mbionwu pulled down 10 rebounds, including five offensive boards, in just 17 minutes of play. A total of four players posted double-digit scoring totals.

The Light Blue will play again next Saturday when it hosts Lehigh.

kyle.perrotti@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports