Sports | Men's Basketball

Men's basketball back in action vs. Fairleigh Dickinson on Saturday

• Kiera Wood / Senior Staff Photographer
    Marvelous Meiko | Junior guard Meiko Lyles led the way for Columbia in its last game against Fairleigh Dickinson, finishing with 25 points when the teams met in 2012.

Out of action since Dec. 9, the men’s basketball team (6-5) will host Fairleigh Dickinson (3-9) on Saturday to begin its winter-break slate.

The Lions last played on Dec. 9, hosting UMass Lowell in what was their fourth game in eight nights. Columbia didn’t show any signs of fatigue as it dominated almost the entire game. The Light Blue benefited from strong defense and used a balanced attack to cruise to a 78-39 win.

Fairleigh Dickinson should present a tougher test than UMass Lowell—but perhaps not much tougher. While the River Hawks rank 346th of 351 teams in Ken Pomeroy's rankings, the Knights rank 321st. The Knights did post an impressive 58-54 win over Seton Hall this season, but their season has been tempered by embarrassing losses, including blowouts at No. 1 Arizona, No. 25 Iowa, and Princeton, as well as a loss to Division II opponent Metro State.

The Lions prevailed in the schools’ only meeting to date, 67-52 in early 2012. Now-junior guard Meiko Lyles led the way with 25 points in that contest. 

Tipoff is at 4 p.m. in Levien Gymnasium.