Sports | Swimming and Diving

WEEKEND RECAP: Swimming and diving, squash

• still making waves | Though no longer at Columbia, Katie Meili, CC '13, continued her strong swimming for the SwimMAC Carolina club team, taking second in the 200 yard breast in Knoxville.
  • Coming up short | Although junior Mohamed AbdelMaksoud bested the Big Red's Bryan Keating, the Lions couldn't quite overcome Cornell.

Swimming and diving Kyle Perrotti / Spectator Staff Writer

The men’s swimming and diving team bounced back with a fourth-place finish at the “Big Al” Open while the women’s team made an impression in Knoxville, Tenn., at the U.S. Winter National Championships.

The men’s first day of competition in Princeton, N.J., was highlighted by a dominant performance in the 200 yard medley relay. The team of junior David Jakl, senior Andrew Wood, senior Philip Gaissert, and junior Andrew Ngan finished with a time of 1:22.59 to capture fifth place.
Read more>>

Squash Myles Simmons / Spectator Senior Staff Writer

Men’s and women’s squash had an unsuccessful start to the conference season over the weekend, with each team dropping a contest at Cornell.

The No. 11 men (1-1) fell 5-4 to No. 8 Cornell (3-0). Junior Ramit Tandon led the Lions from the first position, winning his match in straight sets. But the Lions couldn’t come away with a victory in the No. 2 position, with first-year Rishi Tandon losing in straight sets, nor the No. 5-8 positions. 
Read more>>

More in sports:
Men's basketball drops close contest to Bucknell
With an anemic offense, women's basketball falls again
ANDREWS: Dodge is in desperate need of repair

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports