Kiera Wood / Senior Staff Photographer

Junior forward Alex Rosenberg had 13 points in a decisive victory for the Light Blue.

The men's basketball team dominated its last game before a break for finals, trouncing U-Mass Lowell 78-39 at home.

"It was good, it's hard to do," Columbia head coach Kyle Smith said of the decisive victory over the Riverhawks (1-9). "It's hard to do to anybody. I'm really proud of our guys."

The game was close for the first 11 minutes, with neither team leading by more than four. But Columbia (6-5) took control of the game after going on a 7-0 run, extending its lead to 18-10 on a three by sophomore guard Maodo Lo with 8:38 to go in the first half. 

The Lions dominated the rest of the half, thanks in large part to a 14-0 run bookended by a pair of threes from junior guard Meiko Lyles. The Riverhawks tacked on two points at the very end of the half, cutting the Lions' lead, but nonetheless faced a 38-18 deficit at the intermission.

Columbia continued to dominate in the second half. 

Lo got the scoring started with a three, and the Lions never looked back. Columbia had at least twice as many points as the visitors for the final 20 minutes.

"I thought we played very good defense," junior forward Alex Rosenberg said. The Lions gave up the fewest points—38—they have all season. The prevoius low was 47 versus American.

A number of bench players—incluing first-year center Connor Voss, junior guard Noah Springwater, and sophomore guard Paddy Quinn—logged some minutes toward the end of the game with Columbia comfortably in front.

"It's always great when Paddy gets in there," sophomore guard Grant Mullins said, also praising the performance of first-year guard Kendall Jackson, who had nine points. "It's good to see those guys get in."

Mullins led all scorers with 14 points. Rosenberg, Lyles, and Lo each logged double-digit totals as well.

The Lions will next be in action on Dec. 21 at home versus Farleigh-Dickinson. | @elischultz28

Men's Basketball basketball