Sports | Squash

Men's, women's squash fall to Cornell in Ithaca

• Coming up short | Although junior Mohamed AbdelMaksoud (left) bested the Big Red's Bryan Keating, the Lions couldn't quite overcome Cornell.

Men’s and women’s squash had an unsuccessful start to the conference season over the weekend, with each team dropping a contest at Cornell.

The No. 11 men (1-1) fell 5-4 to No. 8 Cornell (3-0). Junior Ramit Tandon led the Lions from the first position, winning his match in straight sets. But the Lions couldn’t come away with a victory in the No. 2 position, with first-year Rishi Tandon losing in straight sets, nor the No. 5-8 positions. One of the Light Blue’s three other wins came from junior Mohamed AbdelMaksoud, who rallied from two sets down to win in five sets.

[More in sports: With an anemic offense, women's basketball drops another]

The women’s team (1-1), also ranked at No. 11, did not have much success against the No. 6 Big Red (3-0), and fell 7-2. Sophomore Catherine Jenkins won her match at the No. 4 position in five sets, and junior Katie Calihan took hers at No. 9 in straight sets. Junior Alisha Maity took a back-and-forth match to five sets but ultimately lost the final frame 12-10. 

The Lions will be back in action in the new year, when they face Yale on Jan. 11.

myles.simmons@columbiaspectator.com | @MSmmns210